Adventures In Creative Insanity

I write. I procrastinate. I bitch. I dream of publication. I am a Dangerous Scribe.

Synopsis Hell

When I started this insane journey a couple of years ago, I really had no idea where it would take me. At first I insisted that I was writing for myself and I wasn't going to share my work with anyone. That quickly changed when I confided my newest obsession of writing to my cousin who was in the same boat. I felt beyond lucky that I had someone who knew exactly what I was going through and it was a bonus that she's a part of my family. These past couple of years we've stayed in contact speaking once a week, if not more, exchanging ideas and swapping stories from frustration to triumph and everything in between.

Prior to the RWA National Conference in DC this past July, I worked diligently to get my manuscript finished and in tip-top shape. I had an appointment with an agent and an editor during the conference and I wanted to be ready to send out my ms as soon as I got back if it was requested. Well, it was requested. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is the request of the synopsis to accompany it. I was on cloud nine after receiving the requests that I didn't really think about what the synopsis entailed. I wasn't worried. I planned to come home, spew out a synopsis, and send it off. No biggie. Right? Wrong.

That was back in July. Here it is almost September and I still don't have it completed. It's been the most dreadful experience thus far in the process of becoming published. It's my version of Hell. I'm hoping once I get practice, my vision of this will change and that it will be just a small blip of frustration on the long, bumpy, winding path to accomplishing my dream. Unfortunately, I can't see that far ahead because the synopsis is blocking my view and sucking all of the positivity from me.

Fortunately, I am NOT a quitter and I DO love a challenge. There is no way I'm going to let this get the best of me. I may whine along the way (Lisa can attest to that) and occasionally attempt to pull my hair out (the cussing and throwing of objects is a given). I must get this done. That's what I keep repeating to myself. I need to move on, to finish other WIP's, and start new ones, but I can't do that until this damn synopsis is completed and in the mail attached to my ms.

In the mean time, I have found a couple of helpful sites. One is http://www.lisagardner.com/tricks/synopsis.htm and the other http://www.charlottedillon.com/synopsis.html.

I'm happy to report that I have sat down this afternoon and am making headway. It's still dreadful, but it's something. Once I get the first draft of the synopsis down, I think it will be easier to trim/add where needed and I might feel like I've accomplished something.

Feel free to share your experiences, good or bad, we don't discriminate...although we might not share our chocolate!

I will leave you now so I can consume this heaping bowl of pasta sitting in front of me and so that I can get back to overcoming my Hell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Upstate, New York, United States
I am Kellie and I write romantic suspense, paranormal, contemporary, and erotic novels. I am a member of RWA, RWAOL, and RWA KOD. I also participate in NaNoWriMo every year. I have the need to write and the desire to be published. I juggle a family and a full time job, but my ultimate goal is to see my book on a shelf.

Welcome To My Insanity

Follow me on this journey through the ups & downs of trying to become published. Some call it a process, I call it Hell.